They invade your news when you're not looking! They seek to poison your mind! They infiltrate every part of your life! They're sneaky, clever...and always impeccably dressed... They're the public relations bogeymen!


Monday 12 March 2007

Mark Borkowski - Defending the public against the boogeyman...while being one himself?
Before I even begin this post, I have to shamefully admit I had never heard the name Mark Borkowski until every recently (am I the only one?) but his name often seems to come up in discussions of public relations. So, coming upon his blog and learning a bit more about him, I admit to a bit of skepticism. I like everything he has to say, I think he makes very valid points in his condemnation of spin, celebrity culture and the machinations of certain people within public relations. However, being in the industry himself (and quite successfully), he seems to me like someone who is very good at maintaining his own reputation by condeming others. Is he the savior of the industry? Or a boogeyman in disguise? Can someone within an industry, reform it? I'm not sure. But I suppose it could be a start. Someone within the industry willingly taking a probing look at what goes on in it is an important step to improving the view of public relations. The fact that it benefits not only the industry, but Mark Borkowski himself may just have to be part of the deal.

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Reform PR? very interesting. Yes, I believe that for any improvements must begin within the industry itself. The question is how? I don't believe that one person alone can make a change, rather it must be a collective. And its very difficult for an institutions like the CIPR because not all practitioners are members. Maybe the CIPR is a start.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the plug. I have been writing about PR issues for over 15 years. Check out my book Improperganda available in all good remainder stores nationwide. My current blog is updated daily. www.markborkowski.com.